Timothy A. Rye is a litigator who advises clients on real estate valuation and property tax appeals. He advises on all aspects of the property tax appeal process, including: reviewing properties for potential success on appeal, filing appeals and all statutory disclosures, researching market data, preparing analyses for negotiations, negotiating resolutions, and litigating appeals if necessary. Tim represents a broad range of clients, including real estate investors, owners, developers, property and asset managers, corporations, and individuals with real estate holdings.
Tim started his career in real estate as a commercial real estate appraiser, where the majority of his appraisals were used in litigation. Tim is still a licensed Certified General Appraiser and, although he no longer prepares appraisals for clients, he employs his extensive knowledge and experience in valuation matters for clients every day.
As an attorney, he has represented clients in property tax appeals for retail, industrial, office, corporate headquarters, special use, and many other property types. He also has substantial experience in eminent domain matters, valuation disputes, and other property tax matters such as open space, green acres, conservation easements, and contamination tax issues.
- Twin Cities Corporate Campus – Appeal. Handled all aspects of a property tax appeal for a substantial Twin Cities corporate campus. The appeal spanned six years, was completed in two phases, and saved the client more than $2.5 million in taxes through settlement.
- Property Tax Forecasting for Developers. Helped several large developers forecast property taxes at various stages of development to prevent over-assessment, assist underwriters, and ensure that the development had a fair and well-supported value upon completion.
- Managing Tax Obligations for Estates. Managed tax obligations for large estates through the selection of appraisers, analysis of valuation issues, and negotiation and defense against IRS claims.
- Contaminated Property – Negotiating Assessed Valuation. Assisted owners of contaminated property in negotiating appropriate assessed values due to contamination issues.
- Portfolio Management – Property Tax Monitoring, Evaluating, Appeals. Handled the property tax management of several large portfolios of properties for developers, investors, and corporations, where the scope of work includes monitoring and reviewing values annually, identifying appeal candidates, and appealing property taxes as needed.
View All Related Experience
Professional Associations & Memberships