Our firm strives to create an attractive environment for professionals as diverse as the world in which we live and the clients we serve. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is much more than written policies and mission statements. We continuously undertake strategic efforts to advance diversity and foster a respectful, equitable and inclusive workplace. Our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts are led by our Diversity Committee, which includes associates, shareholders and staff. Larkin also has a Diverse Attorneys Resource Group which provides a support network for racially/ethnically diverse and openly LGBTQ attorneys as further support for its diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. The following are some of our highlights:
Retention & Advancement
- The firm belongs to Twin Cities Diversity in Practice (TCDIP). TCDIP provides business development, mentorship and networking opportunities for newer attorneys of color in the Twin Cities.
- We are committed to providing equal advancement opportunities for all of our attorneys and staff and strive to provide equal access to all work and cultural opportunities inside and outside of the Firm.
- Associate attorneys participate in a formal mentoring program that fosters substantive working relationships across all skill levels.
- Associate attorneys within three years of shareholder consideration move to our sponsorship program. Each associate attorney is paired with a successful veteran attorney who is personally invested in the future success of the associate and has the ability to assist the associate move his or her career forward.
- We provide regular workflow meetings between department heads and associates to ensure an equal division of work and equal access to opportunities.
- We have a generous paid parental leave policy for associates who become parents, through either birth or adoption.
- 100 percent of our female attorneys are members of Minnesota Women Lawyers, actively engaged in mentoring students in our legal community and exchanging insights with members in affinity groups that address meaningful matters, including parenting for working professionals.
Education & Awareness
- The firm was an early supporter of LGBT organizations like Philanthrofund Foundation, Human Rights Campaign, Minnesota AIDS Project, and Outfront Minnesota.
- We participated in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Ashley Rukes GLBT Pride Parades.
- Larkin Hoffman has co-sponsored the Annual Minnesota Lavender Bar Association Conference since 2016.
- We were the first law firm in our market to launch a professional women’s networking event hosted by our women attorneys. We host an event every year.
- We encourage all firm members and their families to participate in a community service event on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Most recently, we volunteered our time at Bridging.
- We provide diversity and inclusion training opportunities for our professionals to learn more about themselves, their colleagues and the clients we serve.
- Firm Attorney Nic Puechner serves on the board of directors for the Minnesota Lavender Bar Association.
- Our Director of Administration, Mariel Piilola, is the past chair of the Association of Legal Administrators’ Committee on Diversity and Inclusion and co-authored the ALA Diversity Toolkit, published in the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession’s IILP Review 2017: The State of Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession.
Recent News and Events
On August 14, 2021, the City of Bloomington held its first annual Bloomington Pride event on the east lawn of the Civic Plaza with entertainment, food, arts, crafts and games. Larkin Hoffman was proud to participate in the well-attended first event and we are pleased we were able to continue our support as a community partner this year.
Since 2017, Larkin Hoffman has regularly marched in Twin Cities LGBTQ+ Pride Parade. The firm’s attorneys and staff members, as well as their family and friends, march in support of Twin Cities Pride’s mission of commemorating a diverse heritage, fostering inclusion, and celebrating achievements in equality. Larkin Hoffman joins 140 groups, organizations, and businesses of all sizes in one of the largest GLBT events in the United States.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: ‘What are you doing for others?'” The King Center recommends that private organizations and businesses honor Dr. King by encouraging employees to undertake community service work to address social needs on the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Larkin Hoffman proudly honors the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by giving employees a day off to allow them time to reflect and participate in community service.
Women’s Networking Initiative - Women attorneys at Larkin Hoffman have been leaders in both the business and legal arenas. Years ago, our professionals initiated a new type of event to create an opportunity for professional women in business and law to meet, establish connections and deepen existing relationships in a fun and enthusiastic environment. The event has been so successful that it has become the model for many firms in our market. We look forward to it being in person again this year.
For more Community Service Involvement - Please click here.
For firm News - Please click here.