- J. Patrick Plunkett
Pat provides legal advice to the owners of family-owned and closely-held businesses with respect to a wide variety of legal matters including estate planning and probate; pre-nuptial agreements; succession planning; compliance with applicable statutes, rules and regulations; business formations; organizational structures of business entities; mergers and acquisitions; reorganizations; shareholder control agreements; buy-sell agreements; shareholder buyouts; minority shareholder litigation; stock options; contract review and negotiations; equipment purchases/leases; financing documents; employee claims; employee handbooks and policies; retirement plans; and commercial litigation.
Pat is also legal counsel for several charities, religious organizations, educational institutions, civic organizations, foundations, chambers of commerce, trade associations and other nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations. His services including advice concerning start-up; organizational structures; compliance with applicable statutes, rules and regulations; fiduciary duties of directors and officers; executive compensation; adoption and amendments of organizational documents; applying for tax-exempt status; Attorney General reviews and investigations; IRS audits; mergers and acquisitions; development of personnel policies; employee benefits; tax audits; lobbying restrictions; review and negotiation of commercial contracts; acceptance of charitable contributions; charitable gaming; development of investment and spending policies; and commercial litigation.
Pat was identified in 2021 as a “Minnesota Icon” by Minnesota Lawyer Magazine and Finance & Commerce, and is regularly recognized as a “Minnesota Super Lawyer” by Twin Cities Business and Minnesota Law and Politics. In 2016 Pat was designated as an “Attorney of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer Magazine. Since 1983, Pat has maintained an “AV” Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
- Adjunct Professor, University of St. Thomas, Graduate Programs in Management
- Ramsey County Bar Association, President
- Attorney Referral Service of Ramsey County, President
- Minnesota Business Hall of Fame, Chair
- Catholic Spirit Publishing Company, Executive Committee Chair & Vice-Chair of the Governing Board
- The Salvation Army, Twin Cities Advisory Board Chair
- Hennepin Theatre Trust, Board of Trustees Chair
- Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, governing board member
- Midwest Society of Association Executives, governing board member
- United Arts, governing board member
- St. Paul Athletic Club, governing board member
- Saint Paul Festival and Heritage Foundation, governing board member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, governing board member
- St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce, governing board member
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN; J.D.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN; B.A.
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2016
- Super Lawyer,® Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2021
- AV® Preeminent Rating, by Martindale-Hubbell