Paul J. Linstroth represents business entities and their owners and executives on a wide range of commercial issues, from tax-related matters to complex business transactions. With more than 30 years of experience, Paul has a unique understanding of the opportunities and challenges presented in planning and structuring business, tax, and financial transactions. He has deep experience in tax matters related to structuring mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, and the taxation of real estate transactions.
$1.5 billion sale of retail business.
$1 billion complex sale of communications business consisting of numerous affiliated entities.
Sale of manufacturing business for $220 million.
Joint venture/debt and equity restructuring transaction for international franchisor valued at $280 million.
Reverse merger acquisition of $40 million broadcasting business.
Numerous financing, taxable tax-deferred mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations for closely-held corporations.
Numerous tax-deferred like-kind exchanges of real estate and personal property.
View All Related Experience
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- Minnesota, 1986
- Florida, 1982
- Illinois, 1980
- New York University School of Law, New York, NY; 1980, LL.M.
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, NE; 1979, J.D. cum laude
- University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN; 1975, B.A.
- “Lawyer of the Year” for 2017, Minneapolis Tax Law, Best Lawyers in America®
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2008-Present
- Top Lawyers in Minnesota,® Minnesota Monthly, 2022
- Super Lawyer,® Super Lawyers magazine, 1994-2021
- Distinguished Service Award, Minnesota Bar Association, Tax Section, 2009
- AV® Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- First-Degree Black Belt, Karate
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Former Member, Tax Advisory Committee for former U.S. Congressman Jim Ramstad
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, Tax Section Council (1990-1995, 1997-2002); Former Chair, Tax Section (1994-1995)
- American Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Rotary Club of Minneapolis, Board of Directors (1993-1995); Chair, World Community Service Committee (1989-1993); Board of Directors, Rotary Foundation (1989-1995)
- Ronald McDonald House Charities, Upper Midwest, Board of Directors (2002-2006)
- Person to Person, Board of Directors (2006-2010)