Peter J. Coyle advises business and institutional clients on solving problems related to federal, state and local law and regulation. He represents clients before the Minnesota Legislature and state agencies, as well as cities, counties and townships, on a wide variety of business licensing, permitting, regulatory compliance, environmental review and related matters. The main focus of his practice is advising land owners, developers and contractors who are seeking local and state regulatory approvals associated with new commercial, industrial and residential land development projects.
- Advised shopping center developer on strategy to revive stalled project, resulting in unanimous city council approval of 450,000 square-foot mixed-use center.
- Developed strategy on behalf of national freight handling company to secure major land use designation and zoning changes for new terminal facility, over preliminary objections of city council and city staff.
- Negotiated land use approvals and public finance package to jump-start high-density housing project which was subsequently sold by developer based on entitlement package.
- Represented developer in creating and implementing strategy to successfully challenge city enforcement of roadway impact fee culminating in a landmark decision of the state supreme court.
- Advised lender and developer regarding successful strategy to renegotiate multimillion dollar tax forfeiture risk and secure public finance assistance to allow medium density housing project to proceed.
- Led client negotiation and regulatory due diligence relating to acquisition of major bird-seed processing plant in South Dakota.
- Negotiated governing documents to enable siting of high-density housing project in corporate office park.
- Advised largest American taconite mining company regarding permits and leases necessary to maintain and expand Minnesota mining footprint.
- Negotiated regulatory terms and public finance conditions associated with start-up sand mining project in Wisconsin.
- Advised owners of a family farm in the planning for and implementation of a tax-favored development strategy resulting in the sale of land to multiple development partners.
- Represented home builder association in five-year effort at legislature to overturn rule adverse to industry, culminating in favorable decision invalidating rule by appellate court.
- Led coalition of private business organizations to secure legislative reversal of court-approved business amortization authority.
- Developed and implemented legislative strategy to enact new policy relating to digital outdoor advertising.
- Negotiated critical legislative amendments to protect mining company from costs associated with state regulatory and tax provisions.
- Represented a condominium development coalition to secure a major legislative overhaul of statute that was impeding the development of new condominium housing projects.
- Represented large property management company in securing favorable resolution to state agency enforcement action.
- Represented international franchise company in securing expedited approval of state securities filing related to sale of franchises.
- Advised builder on strategy to resolve agency complaint affecting builder's license.
View All Related Experience
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Navigating State and Local Governments During a Pandemic: How Continuing Government Action on Major Issues Can Impact Your Investments
- We May Soon Find Out What “Force Majeure” Means
- Larkin Hoffman Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers in America® 2020; Chuck Modell Named Franchise Law "Lawyer of the Year"