John R. “Rob” Hill represents clients in divorce and post-decree divorce proceedings as well as child support and child custody hearings. He drafts pre-nuptial agreements and handles appeals. He represents clients with cash flow, spousal maintenance and specializes in complex financial issues in divorce cases, including closely-held businesses, executive compensation, non-marital property, intellectual property and retirement benefits. Rob has represented numerous parents in contested child custody matters, including parenting time issues and grandparent visitation disputes involving allegations of abuse and neglect. Responsive and understanding, Rob seeks resolutions that are efficient and amicable, but he is also fully prepared to address issues in a courtroom setting if a settlement cannot be reached.
Rob is experienced in drafting pre-nuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements. These agreements enable a couple to control the outcome in the event the marriage ends in death or by divorce. A couple choosing a pre or postnuptial agreement can create their own agreements and supersede the laws of Family Court that would otherwise control the terms of the final divorce.
Rob also provides mediation services for all aspects of family law and divorce matters. With the advent of remote technology, clients can do mediations from anywhere via Zoom. This allows parties in any part of Minnesota to participate in mediation and not have to come into the offices of Larkin Hoffman.
- Rob successfully represents both parents and grandparents seeking to challenge visitation and custody rights under Minnesota's grandparent statute. Rob successfully argued that a grandparent's visitation rights are in the best interests of a child, securing visitation against the wishes of a former daughter in law. In another case, Rob successfully terminated a grandparent's visitation rights where the visitation was deemed to be against the best interest of the child.
- Rob successfully represented a father against a competing claim by a grandmother for custody of a toddler.
- As a Financial Early Neutral Evaluation advisor, Rob advises clients on how to reach agreements in the early stages of a divorce.
- Rob is involved in high-conflict custody cases with allegations of abuse or parental alienation. He draws in resources from child-focused specialists, such as therapists, social workers, and psychologists to look after the best interests of the children.
- Working with financial experts and accountants, Rob represents business owners – as well as spouses of business owners – to ensure that assets are appropriately valued.
- Rob has been involved in farm divorces involving myriad parcels of real estate, tax issues, gifting, and inheritances.
- As a mediator, Rob brings parties together to reach acceptable solutions to permit each person to move on with his/her life and avoid the necessity of litigation and uncertainty.
- Rob regularly is involved with complex spousal maintenance cases—whether on behalf of the paying spouse or the receiving spouse.
- Minnesota, 1988
- Texas, 1986
- University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TX, 1983 J.D., M.B.A.
- Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, 1978 B.A., cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Tulane Scholars
- Super Lawyer®, Super Lawyers magazine, 2011-present
- North Star Lawyer, 2013-present
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Collaborative Law Institute
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Hennepin County Ethics Committee
- Hennepin County Family Court, Self Help Volunteer
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Tubman Domestic Abuse attorney
- Volunteer Legal Network