Patrick J. Cole represents businesses in a variety of matters including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, complex business transactions, compensation arrangements, and compliance matters. He has proven experience in a diverse range of corporate and transactional legal matters including private debt and equity financings, shareholder relationships and disputes, real estate development, organizational and choice of entity, succession planning, and governance issues.
Patrick’s health care clients rely heavily on his comprehensive experience with health law matters. He works closely with his clients to ensure their strategic goals and objectives are in compliance with the complex regulatory framework in the health care industry. Patrick provides guidance in every aspect of health care including regulatory compliance, Stark and anti-kickback issues, and Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Serve as buy-side or sell-side counsel for companies with transaction values ranging from $100,000 to more than $250 million.
- Represent construction firms in sales, joint ventures, and acquisitions.
- Counsel for national engineering and surveying firm in acquisitions throughout the United States.
- Provide counsel regarding professional services agreements (PSAs) and medical practice sales to hospital systems.
- Design of Stark and Anti-kickback compliant business arrangements between health care providers and others.
- Design and implementation of practice transition arrangements and funding.
- Outside general corporate counsel to health care providers.
Dental Practice & Veterinary Practice Transactions & General Representation
- Represent buyers and sellers of dental practices throughout the Midwest.
- Represent buyers and sellers of veterinary practices nationally.
- Work with practices to structure compensation formulas, succession planning, partnership arrangements, associate relationships, employment matters, and other legal issues.
- Assist practices with real estate issues, including real estate leases and purchase or sale transactions.
- Guide practices through regulatory matters.
General Business Matters
- Serve as outside general counsel for numerous privately-held businesses.
- Counsel to manufacturing companies with respect to contracting issues, including supply chain, warranty, financing, sourcing and sales.
- Represented minority shareholder in multimillion dollar shareholder dispute involving complex business and tax issues.
- Represented majority shareholder in family dispute involving ownership and control of manufacturing company.
- Structured and drafted complex shareholder agreements and succession planning agreements for large family-owned manufacturing company.
Regulatory Compliance & Licensing
- Represent health professionals in licensing and matters related to their professional licensing boards.
- Manage regulatory compliance issues for professional service firm with operations in dozens of states in multiple professional disciplines.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, NE; J.D., magna cum laude
- Editor-in-Chief, Creighton Law Review
- James L. Koley Scholar of Constitutional Law
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN; B.A
- Top Lawyers in Minnesota,® Minnesota Monthly, 2022
- Rising Star®, Super Lawyers magazine, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Named a "North Star Lawyer" by the Minnesota State Bar Association, as recognition for pro bono services.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Minnesota Medical Group Management Association, Education and Conference Committee
- Irish Music and Dance Association, Past Board Member
- The Center for Irish Music, Board Member & Secretary
- Great Northern Irish Pipers Club, Board Member and Past President
- Twin Cities Creighton Alumni Board, Board Member