James M. Susag is a seasoned trial attorney with a focus on franchise and dealer disputes, real estate, and complex commercial matters. He has been the lead attorney in over 100 trials and arbitrations in state and federal courts across the country and in domestic and international arbitration forums. Jim has the unique perspective of a trial lawyer who has also managed complex litigation and developed strategic legal plans as in-house counsel. Clients appreciate his boardroom-to-courtroom experience in crafting resolutions for their business disputes.
Franchise Litigation and Arbitration
Jim represents franchise and dealer clients across various industries including food and beverage, retail, leisure and fitness, health care, hospitality and commercial and consumer services. His experience spans disputes relating to claims of violation of state franchise or dealership laws, trademark infringement, breach of contract, system-standards enforcement, consumer class actions, post-termination rights, disclosure and registration issues, fraud claims, vicarious liability, independent contractor misclassification and joint employment issues.
Real Estate Litigation
Land owners, developers, buyers, sellers, lenders, contractors and brokers rely on Jim to defend their property in all types of real estate disputes, including purchase and sale agreements, commercial and residential leases, construction contracts, mechanic’s liens, commercial and residential construction and design defects, title claims, premises liability, boundaries and easements, valuation, zoning, land use and governmental approvals.
Jim handles complex commercial disputes involving contract interpretation and enforcement, unlawful business practices, civil fraud and unfair competition. He also represents clients in disputes among owners of closely-held businesses.
Other Professional Experience
- General Counsel/Chief Legal Officer, WellHaven Pet Health, LLC (2018-Present)
- Chief Litigation Counsel, U.S. Bancorp (2005-2007)
- Attorney, Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A. (1995-1997)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Larkin Hoffman Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers in America® 2021; Pete Coyle and Bill Griffith Both Named as a 2021 "Lawyer of the Year"
- 25 Larkin Hoffman Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers
- Larkin Hoffman Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers in America® 2020; Chuck Modell Named Franchise Law "Lawyer of the Year"